ITAEWON CLASS~ the most intense Kdrama of Park Seojun! The Kdrama you want to watch after seeing EPISODE 1





Just like the title, I could not stop watching it after seeing Episode 1. I was not supposed to watch Itaewon Class yet since the drama is still ongoing. Aside from that, I do not usually watch dramas that are ongoing because I hate waiting for every episode. But Thanks to 'Hi, Bye, Mama', (I ran out of episode in Netflix, this drama is also an exception since it was really interesting) I was tempted to watch Itaewon Class on Thursday, last week. And never did I regret doing it! I finished watching until episode 14 last Sunday morning~ My friend told me I watched the drama really fast! Well yeah~ I have nothing to do but take good care of my baby so time surely flies so fast~ Added to it is this really interesting kdrama which made me want to watch every episode immediately due to its very interesting plot and characters!

WHAT MAKES ITAEWON CLASS INTERESTING TO WATCH?

I have listed 4 major reasons that made me want to watch Itaewon Class. Listed below are my personal reasons. If you have other reasons aside from what I mentioned below, feel free to comment and share it to us!

DISCLAIMER! SPOILERS ALERT!

Details below will contain mild spoilers about the kdrama. So if you don't like spoilers, think twice before scrolling below~ Look at Park Seojun's expressions first and a surprise GIF from a guest
❤️❤️❤️





Surprise reaction from BTS' V 💜💜💜
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) The Plot

I did not watch this kdrama's trailer so I was clueless at first. I just saw the cast and a glimpse of the highlight of an episode (which later on I discovered was from Episode 6). I also heard it was good and that it stars Park Seojun so it's an instant for me to watch! I was really curious about the plot but I wanted it to be a surprise as well so I just watched it myself.

It started with a short haired girl who sounded crazy while receiving a counseling session. She mentioned about her boss, who revealed to be Park Seojun.


Then an upbeat music comes in and a narration about this hot place called Itaewon comes in as well! She narrated that it is a story about them living in that place in Seoul. 



Then, the story turned into 15 years ago wherein this girl was not yet around within that period. So what happened? I got curious about it and wondered about the backstory. Why is this girl not there that time. And who is this girl present here and so on.... Curiosity... The first episode made me curious to see what is more about the story.

Then BOOM! Before Episode 1 ends, it shocked me! It was just the first episode yet many interesting things happened already!

Park Saeroy (Park Seojun) transferred to another school. On his first day of class, he got expelled because of his character of justice. He wants to do what is right and does not want to see anyone be bullied or be stepped on. Then an accident happened which killed his father. I was full of emotions when I discovered who killed his father! And how much injustice he received! The first episode ended, leaving me with this intense feeling. And just by that, I thought, 'This is really a great drama! Worth to watch more'. 

First major reason that made it interesting is because of the 'Plot'. This is what I meant. There is more about this plot that I want to uncover more. It is just like a book that gets more interesting as you flip on the pages. The intense turn of events from Episode 1 got me started to be more curious. And by that, I became so deeply into the story! For me, it is the most intense kdrama of Park Seojun! Full of angst, hatred and emotions.
(A/N: I don't want to give in too much spoilers so I hope you watch it as well as I mention these)

The short clip I saw from Episode 6: <<CLICK HERE>>

Itaewon Class Official Trailer


2.) The Characters

PARK SAE ROY (박새로이)
  A well-driven guy who has a 15 year plan to destroy Jangga Co. to avenge his father's death. An expelled high school student turned into ex-convict turned into businessman.


I admire Park Saeroy's determination in achieving his goal. At first, my heart really ached because of how unfortunate his life has become just because someone manipulated the incidents with money and power. But then, after 3 years in prison, he was able to start his plan of having his own pub business that later on became big. A perfect plan to compete with Jangga Co. and destroy it afterwards. I also love how he stands for what is right while achieving his dreams. I also like how he respects every person's decision. A person with wide understanding and proper mindset. A man of words and wisdom. A character you could always fall in love with!

JO YI SEO (조이서)
  A famous social media influencer and a genius with a 162 IQ but also classified herself as sociopath. She always get what she wants no matter what and promised Park Saeroy to make him successful in his business.


I am not really fond of her character at first because of her bratty attitude. She does what she wants and definitely gets what she wants. But as the story proceeds, there is also a change of character, maybe because of Park Saeroy. I love how she became the manager of DanBam (Park Saeroy's pub) because she really knows what she says and what she does. I love her even more for she does it because of her love for Saeroy, saying she will make him successful. I am very glad that it really happened and it is because of her undying support and love for him in years. I hope it will also be reciprocated in no time. Imagine, she refused going to the university and decided to work for Saeroy to make him successful. I love the confidence and the passion! A character that is so loved in this drama! (Let's wait for the love progress of the last 2 episodes)

OH SOO AH (오수아)

Park Saeroy's first love. Park Saeroy promised her that she would lose her job once he achieves his plan. A girl who got all of her achievements through Jangga Co.'s financial support. A loyal employee of CEO Jang Dae Hee.


I classify Soo Ah as a coward for justice yet brave to do everything just to be successful in life. I know how much she feels sorry for Saeroy for always doing the one thing he does not like (and that is siding with the Jangga Co.) but she always admits that she does not feel sorry at all. However, I can sense that she feels guilty every single time. Even if her selfishness goes in the way, I like how she can still manage when it comes to Saeroy. It may look like she was already engulfed with the hierarchy system, but I can still see her loyalty (somehow) to Saeroy. Though I also see her as spy of Jangga Co. Ironic isn't it? It's her character. The character of playing both sides. I just feel sorry for her because she is deeply in love with Saeroy, yet she chose her career over love. A perfect transformation of someone from nothing to something because take a look at how confident she became after years in Jangga Co. Her character added up to the spice in this kdrama.

JANG DAE HEE (장대희)
Jangga Co.'s CEO and owner. Park Saeroy's enemy. The person behind Park Saeroy's unfortunate life. A very successful businessman who does everything just to keep Jangga Co. number one in Korea even if it means destroying Park Saeroy. 

I really hate his character since episode 1! My temper boils every time he mentions about Park Saeroy kneeling before him even if he is the one at fault. His power is intimidating yet Saeroy does not feel intimidated at all. The reason why he really wants to destroy him so much! I really thought he will choose his son over his company because he said he built Jangga Co. so that his family would not starve anymore. I was fooled!!!! His greediness is extraordinary! He has no heart for others except himself. He is really a difficult person to beat. I am excited on what will happen to him. Will Saeroy be able to beat him? That's what I am waiting for! This character really is so effective that I want to see his face be crushed by Saeroy!

JANG GEUN WON (장근원)
Jangga Co.'s successor, CEO Jang Dae Hee's first son. A rich bully who likes Oh Soo Ah. The reason why Park Saeroy's life became ruined.


Jang Geun Won is the very reason why all of the bad things has happened to Park Saeroy. He is a bully who does not do any good but be boastful of everything he has. Just because his father is a  rich and powerful businessman, he can get pass through with everything bad that he does, even his crimes. I see him as a rich, narcissistic loser. When you see him on the first episode, he looks like a hooligan. His facial expression says how really a bad person he is. I feel hatred every time I see his face in this drama. Haha!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other characters that I want to unveil but I guess this post is too much of a spoiler already so I would not go into the details for the other characters. Just watch out for these characters' backstory. 

Let's give a round of applause for the staff of Park Saeroy's DanBam~ TANTANANAN!!!!👏👏👏

JANG GEUN SU (장근수)
The pretty face of DanBam~ A very hardworking student who does part time job to support himself. Illegitimate child of CEO Jang Dae Hee and friend of Jo Yi Seo

His character is just so kind and warm on the first part of the drama. He secretly likes Jo Yiseo. He has also high respects for Park Saeroy! Check out the development of his character because you would definitely be awed on his character's twist.

[LEFT] CHOI SEUNG KWON (최승권)
Park Saeroy's inmate in prison. One of the first staffs in DanBam.

[MIDDLE] MA HYEON YI (마현이)
DanBam's head chef. One of the first staffs in DanBam.

KIM TONI (마현이)
Half Korean staff at DanBam. He was hired by Jo Yiseo to handle foreign customers yet he does not speak English.

I would not tell that much about these characters. It will be too giveaway if I comment more. So, I leave to you guys to discover their backstory in this drama. You would be definitely surprised about the details of their characters because these became key points in the progress of the drama. By saying this, I want to encourage you guys to watch Itaewon Class to know more about these characters!

BONUS: I just love how these two developed for each other as the story progresses.


3.) The reason behind the title 'ITAEWON CLASS'



Ever since I started watching Itaewon class, I always wanted to know when will they reveal the reason behind the title. My first guess was... "Maybe Itaewon Class will be the name of the pub he will build." But I was wrong! It was not Itaewon Class but DanBam (단밤) which means Sweet Night in English.


It was not until the middle of the drama (I think) when Saeroy asked for the opinion of his staffs to suggest a decent name for the company that he wants to create. It was Choi Seung Kwon who suggested the name 'Itaewon Class' which Saeroy immediately loved. The group decided that 'Itaewon Class' becomes their inside name while the name they will publicize is 'IC', the initials.



It was in episode 14 when Saeroy's dream became reality!

4.) A success story of an Expelled High School Student turned into an Ex-Convict



This is what really got my interest. How will Saeroy get up after the tragic incidents that happened to his life? If you see the first two episodes, it was really intense that you also want to take revenge because of what happened to him. As a viewer, you also want to support Saeroy with his plans. Saeroy created a 15-year plan and as the year passed by, you could observe how changes happen to him with this period. From a high school student who does not know about the ways of life into a much more mature person that made him understand life through his experiences. 


He was able to start a business from scratch then expand it into a big company. He was far from beating Jangga Co. in episode 14 yet there was a really big improvement. From around 4 to 5 staffs in DanBam into thousands of employees in his IC company. These are all from his determination to succeed with the help of his friends and staff. He believes that people is the most important thing and look at what he has become! The CEO of IC company. I would like to know what progress will the last 2 episodes offer in the story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alas! I have shared to you my insights about why Itaewon Class is so much interesting to watch. Major reasons are the plot, the characters, the reason behind the title and the success story of Park Saeroy, an expelled high school student who became an ex-convict due to unfortunate events that happened to his life. I really believe this is the most intense Kdrama that Park Seojun has ever been in. I cannot wait for the last 2 episodes to be out! Looking back, I am so glad I started watching the first episode! 

If you have a similar experience as me and you agree about what I mentioned on this post, or you have other insights aside from what I mentioned, feel free to comment and share your ideas!

I want to end this blog post by sharing to you guys this:  V's Sweet Night, Itaewon Class' OST.



Thank you for reading and have a nice day!




Follow me at:
Facebook: 
www.facebook.com/ExploringKorean

Personal Accounts:

Twitter (Personal/Stan account):
 www.twitter.com/rikakanashi
 (Translator account):
www.twitter.com/BTS_nunaPH

Youtube: 
www.youtube.com/user/rikakanashi



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Korean Expressions] HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND Greetings! Pt.2 ~ Exploring Korean Language

Itaewon Class teaches us how to drink and pour soju properly~ Exploring Korean Culture

[LESSON 1] How to say your Nationality in Korean?